Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Shot call


The Angel had her shots yesterday.  She was a sad angel :(  I wish I could make them not hurt.  She was so sweet too.  All smiley with the doctor.  And then...

I know there are a lot of people who don't vaccinate their kids anymore.  I did read up on it, just so I could make my own somewhat informed decision, but I couldn't find a convincing argument against vaccines.  There was a case of autism that seemed to be linked to a vaccine, but then that was apparently proven otherwise.  And I don't think I could live with myself if anything serious happened to her because I didn't vaccinate.

I am a big believer in a more natural approach to baby care.  I breastfeed on demand and intend to let her self-wean; we co-sleep and again intend to let her decide for herself when she is ready to move into her own bed; I wear her in a sling for most of her waking hours and some of her sleeping ones too; I am introducing solids using a baby-led approach; I have been reading a lot about home-schooling and un-schooling and hope to make the right decision when that time comes.  But I really can't get my head around not vaccinating.  It just doesn't feel right... in fact it feels a bit stupid and reckless.

Yes, there is a lot to be said for more traditional societies who practice these more natural methods, but they also have higher mortality rates.  What is wrong with a balanced approach?  Take the best of both worlds.  We have made huge advances in medicine, for a reason.  Yes, go back to nature, but take some of the things we have learnt along the way.

Anybody else have any thoughts on vaccines?

2 comments:

Nan Sheppard said...

*sigh*... Chas reacted violently to his MMR shot, and never had another one. Doctor's orders. Sam and Max had a very expensive version of the MMR just in case, and were fine.I still believe in vaccination though. If one kid in a hundred has a reaction to the vaccination, hundreds of lives have been saved by the vaccination program. Vaccination is for the "Greater Good".

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

I think it's important for each family to do their research and decide what's best for them.

I personally couldn't live with myself if something happened to my child as a result of a vaccination. Most of the diseases they are vaccinated against are treatable. But vaccine injuries aren't.

We delayed/selectively vaxed my daughter and haven't done any vaxes yet with my son.

I really liked the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Children's Vaccines" by Dr. Stephanie Cave. I've also heard really good things about the recent Dr. Sears' book "The Vaccine Book." It's supposed to be very balanced.

Best of luck with your decisions. :)